Children as decision makers in education : sharing experiences across cultures / Sue Cox ... [and others].
- London ; New York : Continuum International Pub. Group, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 180 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Cox, Sue
- Introduction / Sue Cox, Caroline Dyer, Anna Robinson-Pant and Michele Schweisfurth -- Pt. 1. Can we make space for children's decision-making? Perspectives on educational policy -- 1. The changing context of decision-making in English primary education: ages; myths and autonomy / Colin Richards -- 2. 'Prefigurative' approaches to participatory schooling: experiences in Brazil / Tristan McCowan -- 3. Grasping rare moments for change: children's participation in conflict contexts / Sheila Aikman -- 4. Long time coming: children as only occasional decision makers in schools / Clive Harber -- Pt. 2. Children's decision-making: its impact on life in schools and the community -- 5. Children's clubs and corporal punishment: reflections from Nepal / Teeka Bhattarai -- 6. Participatory School Governance: Children in Decision-Making in the Zambian Context / Gina Mumba Chiwela -- 7. EveryChild: NGO experiences with children as decision makers in Peru, India and Moldova / Liz Trippett, Jane Banez-Ockelford, Daniela Mamaliga, Payal Saksena and Lionel Vigil -- 8. Paving the way for pupil voice? School councils campaign for fairtrade in Liverpool / Anne-Marie Smith -- 9. Student voice in Portsmouth: a city-wide approach / Fiona Carnie -- Pt. 3. Children as decision makers: what are we trying to achieve? The ethical and political dimensions -- 10. Assessing the Benefits of Students' Participation / Hiromi Yamashita, Lynn Davies and Chris Williams -- 11. Uprooting fear of cultural diversity: becoming participative together / Juan Carlos Barron-Pastor -- 12. Pedagogy and cultural diversity: children's participation for overcoming differences / Rohit Dhankar -- Pt. 4. Facilitating children's participation in research and decision-making -- 13. Children as Researchers: experiences in a Bexley Primary School / Doug Springate and Karen Lindridge -- 14. Life in the classroom: a pupil perspective / Allan Fowler -- 15. Children as researchers: a question of risk? / Sue Cox and Anna Robinson-Pant -- 16. Children's participation: radio as a medium in Ghana / Esmeranda Manful -- 17. Children as research protagonists and partners in governance / P. J. Lolichen -- Endpiece: What can we learn about children as decision makers by bringing together perspectives and experiences from different cultures? / Sue Cox, Caroline Dyer, Anna Robinson-Pant and Michele Schweisfurth.
- 9780826425485 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6060048