Emma : Lady Susan / Jane Austen ; illustrations by C. E. and H. M. Brock
- Austen, Jane, 1775-1817
- Additional Titles:
- Emma and Lady Susan
- Ann Arbor, MI : Borders Classics, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 519 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Brock, C. E. (Charles Edmund), 1870-1938 and Brock, H. M. (Henry Matthew), 1875-1960
Full Text available online
- Leather-bound series
- Emma: Emma Woodhouse is a wealthy, exquisite, and thoroughly self-deluded young woman. She traverses a gentle satire of provincial balls and drawing rooms, along the way encountering the sweet Harriet Smith, the chatty and tedious Miss Bates, and her absurd father Mr. Woodhouse. Thinking herself impervious to romance of any kind, Emma tries to arrange a wealthy marriage for poor Harriet, but refuses to recognize her own feelings for the gallant Mr. Knightley. What ensues is a delightful series of scheming escapades in which every social machination is steeped in delicious irony. and Lady Susan: Lady Susan, a clever and ruthless widow, determines that her daughter is going to marry a man whom both detest. Lady Susan sets her own sights on her sister-in-law's brother, all the while keeping an old affair simmering on the back burner. However, people refuse to play the roles that she assigns them, and in the end her daughter gets the sister-in-law's brother, the old affair runs out of steam, and all that is left for Lady Susan is the man intended for her daughter, the one neither can abide.
- 9781587265594 and 1587265591
- Copyright 2008 by J.W. Edwards, Inc. and Description based on surrogate.
- Action Note:
- committed to retain 20170930 20430101 HathiTrust https://www.hathitrust.org/shared_print_program
View MARC record | catkey: 6061244