The last knight errant : Sir Edward Woodville and the age of chivalry / Christopher Wilkins
- Wilkins, Christopher, 1941-
- London ; New York : I.B. Tauris, 2010.
New York : Distributed in the United States and Canada exclusively by Palgrave Macmillan.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 234 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- "Sir Edward Woodville was the medieval knight par excellence - except that his life coincided with the beginning of the Renaissance. With this biography, Christopher Wilkins demonstrates how Sir Edward carved out an important role for himself in the fifteenth century, marrying the old-fashioned values of a chivalric age with the modernising trends that were dramatically re-shaping Europe. Far from an anachronism, The Last Knight Errant reveals how this quintessentially medieval figure, riding from battle to battle across Europe, was also profoundly engaged in the events that built the post-medieval states of England, Spain and France." "The Last Knight Errant restores Sir Edward's Woodville to his rightful place at the heart of power in fifteenth-century England and represents him as a true hero whose reputation suffered at the hands of that genius of propaganda, Richard II."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781848851498 (hbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6062647