Turbulence in the atmosphere / John C. Wyngaard
- Wyngaard, John C.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 393 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Pt. I. A grammar of turbulence -- 1. Introduction -- 2. Getting to know turbulence -- 3. Equations for averaged variables -- 4. Turbulent fluxes -- 5. Conservation equations for covariances -- 6. Large-eddy dynamics, the energy cascade, and large-eddy simulation -- 7. Kolmogorov scaling, its extensions, and two-dimensional turbulence -- Pt. II. Turbulence in the atmospheric boundary layer -- 8. The equations of atmospheric turbulence -- 9. The atmospheric boundary layer -- 10. The atmospheric surface layer -- 11. The convective boundary layer -- 12. The stable boundary layer -- 13. Probability densities and distributions -- 14. Isotropic tensors -- 15. Covariances, autocorrelations, and spectra -- 16. Statistics in turbulence analysis.
- "This book provides a modern introduction to turbulence in the atmosphere and in engineering flows. Based on his 40+ years of research and teaching, John Wyngaard's textbook is an excellent up-to-date introduction to turbulence in the atmosphere and in engineering flows for advanced students, and a reference work for researchers in the atmospheric sciences."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780521887694 (hardback)
- Received 2010 ASLI Choice Award Honorable Mention - Science Category.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6139126