Natural hazards and human-exacerbated disasters in Latin-America [electronic resource] : special volumes of geomorphology / edited by Edgardo Latrubesse
- Amsterdam ; Boston ; London : Elsevier, 2010.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxiv, 510 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Additional Creators:
- Latrubesse, Edgardo
- 1. Climate and geomorphologic related disasters in Latin America / N.O. Garcia, R.N. Ferreira, E.M. Latrubesse -- 2. Geomorphology as a tool for analysis of seismogenic sources in Latin America and the Caribbean / C.H. Costa, F.A. Audemard M., L. Audin, C. Benavente -- 3. The changing coastlines of South America / F.I. Isla, E.J. Schnack -- 4. Disasters in Mexico and Central America : a little bit more than a century of natural hazards / I. Alcántara-Ayala -- 5. Venezuela : the construction of vulnerability and its relation to the high seismic risk / J. Laffaille, C. Ferrer, K. Laffaille -- 6. Natural hazards and human-induced disasters triggered by intense and episodic tropical rains in the Venezuelan mountains / M. Bezada -- 7. Convulsive events, a widespread hazard in the Colombian Andes / M. Hermelin, N. Hoyos -- 8. Geomorphology of natural and human-induced disasters in Ecuador / F.O. Sarmiento -- 9. Natural hazards in Peru : causation and vulnerability / K.R. Young and B. León -- 10. Geomorphology of natural hazards and human-induced disasters in Bolivia / E.M. Latrubesse, P.A. Baker, J. Argollo -- 11. Soil erosion in Brazil from coffee to the present-day soy bean production / S. Simões de Castro, J. Pereira de Queiroz Neto -- 12. Landslides and disasters in Southeastern and Southern Brazil / A.L. Coelho Netto, A. de Souza Avelar, W. Alvarenga Lacerda -- 13. Floods in urban areas of Brazil / J.C. Stevaux, E.M. Latrubesse, M.L. de P. Hermann, S. Aquino -- 14. Seismic and volcanic hazards in Argentina / L.P. Perucca, S.M. Moreiras -- 15. Landslide processes in Argentina / S.M. Moreiras, A. Coronato -- 16. Floods in Argentina / E.M. Latrubesse, D. Brea -- 17. Desertification in Patagonia / E. Mazzonia, M. Vazquez -- 18. Geology and geomorphology of natural hazards and human-induced disasters in Chile / A. Cecioni, V. Pineda -- 19. Impact of global climate change on glaciers and permafrost of South America, with emphasis on Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego and the Antarctic Peninsula / J. Rabassa -- 20. Possible future changes in geomorphological hazards in Latin America / A.S. Goudie -- 21. A Latin American perspective on geomorphologic hazards and related disasters / E.M. Latrubesse -- References.
- The main objective of the book is to offer a vision of the dynamics of the main disasters in South America, describing their mechanisms and consequences on South American societies. The chapters are written by selected specialists of each country. Human-induced disasters are also included, such as desertification in Patagonia and soil erosion in Brazil. The receding of South-American glaciers as a response to recent climatic trends and sea-level scenarios are discussed. The approach is broad in analyzing causes and consequences and includes social and economic costs, discussing environmental and planning problems, but always describing the geomorphologic/geologic involved processes with a good scientific substantiation.
- 9780080932187 (electronic bk.)
0080932185 (electronic bk.)
- Description based on print version record.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -494) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6142737