Practical measuring made easy to the meanest capacity by a new set of tables [electronic resource] : Which show at sight, the solid or superficial content (and consequently the value) of any piece of quantity of squared or round timber, be it standing or felled, also of stone, board, glass, &c. made use of in the erecting or repairing of any building, &c, contrived to answer all the occasions of gentlemen and artificers, far beyond any thing yet extant: the contents being given in feet, inches, and twelfth parts of an inch. With a preface, shewing the excellence of this new method of measuring, and demonstrating, that whoever ventures to rely upon those obsolete tables and directions published by Isaac Keay, is liable to be deceived (in common cases) 10s. in the pound. By E. Hoppus, surveyor to the corporation of the London assurance. The twelfth edition. Greatly improved by the following additions, I. New tables shewing at sight the value of any piece or quantity of timber, stone, &c. at any price per foot cube. II. Mr. Hoppus's table of solid measure applied to the freighting of ships. III. Some very curious observations concerning the measuring of timber by several dimensions, communicated by one of His Majesty's purveyors
- Hoppus, E. (Edward), -1739
- London : printed, by assignment from the trustees of E. Wicksteed, for J. F. and C. Rivington, T. Longman, B. Law, J. Johnson, G. G. J. and J. Robinson, R. Baldwin, W. Goldsmith, J. Bew, S. Hayes, G. and T. Wilkie, Scatcherd and Whitaker, W. Lowndes, J. Taylor, and E. Newbery, 1790.
- Physical Description:
- lxxvi,204 pages, plate : illustrations ; long 12⁰.
- With a half-title.
Horizontal chain lines, gathered in 4's, 20.5 x 8 cm.
Reproduction of original from University of London's Goldsmiths' Library.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, N20676.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Roscoe, A239 (2)
View MARC record | catkey: 6144918