The History of the works of the learned [electronic resource] : Giving a general view of the state of learning throughout Europe, and containing an impartial account and accurate abstracts of the most valuable books publish'd in Great Britain and foreign parts. Interspers'd with dissertations on several curious and entertaining subjects, critical reflections, and memoirs of the most eminent writers in all branches of polite literature
- Uniform Title:
- History of the works of the learned (London, England : 1737 : Monthly)
- Additional Titles:
- Running title, verso: Works of the learned
- London [England] : printed for T[homas]. Cooper, at the Globe in Pater-Noster-Row, and sold by J. and J. Fox in Westminster-Hall, and J. Jackson near St. James's-Gate, [1737-1743]
- Physical Description:
- 84 volumes ; 8⁰.
- Additional Creators:
- Chambers, Ephraim, approximately 1680-1740
- Formed From:
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- January 1737-December, 1743.
- Publication Frequency:
- Edited by Ephraim Chambers (cf. NCBEL).
Title and month of issue repeated as caption on first page of text.
Below imprint: Price one shilling.
Imprints vary; <Jan. 1742>-Jan. 1743: "Printed for Jacob Robinson; and sold by T[homas]. Cooper"; from Feb. 1743-, "printed for Jacob Robinson" only.
Recto running title repeats month and year of issue.
Pagination and register continuous within each volume.
Last page of each issue lists new publications for the month.
Consists primarily of book reviews and literary news; includes booksellers' advertisements.
Reproduction of original from Bodleian Library (Oxford).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, P2222.
- Special Numbering:
- Chronological designation only.
- Other Forms:
- Cumulated volumes available on microfilm in the English Literary Periodicals series (UMI, reels 599-601)
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Index Note:
- With cumulative index in June and December issues.
- Complexity Note:
- Cumulated semiannually, with added prefatory material.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- NCBEL, II:1297
Times handlist, p. 40
View MARC record | catkey: 6150067