The Westminster magazine [electronic resource] : for ...
- Uniform Title:
- Westminster magazine (London, England : 1776)
- London [England] : printed for and by T. Wright, Essex-street, Strand: and sold by J. Bew, No. 28, Paternoster-Row; and all other booksellers in Great-Britain and Ireland.
- Physical Description:
- volumes, plates (some folded) : illustrations, music ; 8⁰.
- Additional Creators:
- Hope, John, 1739-1785
Holcroft, Thomas, 1745-1809
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Began in <March> 1776.
- Bristol, Elizabeth Chudleigh, Countess of, 1720-1788—Trials, litigation, etc—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Theatrical performances—Reviews—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Books—Reviews—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- United States—History—Revolution—1775-1783—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Europe—History—18th century—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Great Britain—Politics and government—1760-1820—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Related Titles:
- Momus: or, the laughing philosopher. 1-.
Dialogues of the living. 1-27.
- Publication Frequency:
- Contributors included John Hope and Thomas Holcroft.
Title pages include description of engraved plates and illustrations and table of contents.
Title and date repeated as caption on first page of text, with ornamental headpiece above title.
Imprints lack dates; years of publication from dates of issues.
Imprints vary; from <April> 1778, imprint reads: Printed for Fielding and Walker, no. 20, Paternoster-Row; from <Feb.> 1781: Printed for John Walker, no. 20, Paternoster-Row.
Printed in two columns, with continuous pagination within each calendar year.
Monthly numbers include many essays printed in series from issue to issue, and a section entitled: Monthly Chronicle, which summarizes the news and lists marriages, deaths and preferments. Essays include: "The Leveller", by John Hope, "The Actor," by Thomas Holcroft, "The Speculatist," "The Lucubrator," "Momus: or, the Laughing philosopher," and "Dialogues of the living." Topics include art and literature, the theater, morals and taste, anecdotes of famous people. Issues also include original poetry. The magazine reported the trial of the Duchess of Kingston, and published reports from travelers.
Reproduction of original from Library of Congress.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, P2416.
- Special Numbering:
- Monthly issues have chronological designation only.
- Other Forms:
- Annually cumulated volumes are available on microfilm in the English Literary Periodicals series (UMI, reels 926-928).
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Index Note:
- Cumulated volumes are indexed.
- Complexity Note:
- Cumulated annually, with added prefatory material and occasional supplements, by: The Westminster Magazine, or the Pantheon of taste.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- NCBEL, II:1305
Times handlist, p. 44
View MARC record | catkey: 6150116