The Whimsical repository, or General receptacle [electronic resource] : Of wit, humour & entertainment; containing ... for the year ...
- Additional Titles:
- Whimsical repository
Whimsical repository; or, General receptacle of wit, humour & entertainment
- London [England] : printed for R : Snagg, no 29 Paternoster-Row, & sold by all the booksellers in Great Britain & Ireland, -
- Physical Description:
- volumes, plates (some folded) ; 8⁰.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- 1774 [sic]. Vol. I. [Aug. 1774-July 1775]
Ceased in 1776.
- Related Titles:
- Listner. No.1-<6>.
- Publication Frequency:
- Annual (collected issues)
- Title page of vol. 1 is engraved; v. 2 is letterpress.
Monthly issues have caption titles with month and year of issue.
Imprints lack year of publication; dated from monthly issues.
Imprints vary; v. 2 reads: "London: printed for T. Bell, (no. 26), Bell-Yard, Temple-Bar, and sold by all the booksellers".
Title page includes contents note.
With continuous pagination in each volume.
Frontis. engravings for monthly issues signed: "Terry del. et sculp".
Includes biographical anecdotes, miscellaneous excerpts from essays, speeches, histories, serialized adventure stories, correspondence, amusing or unusual news notes and selections of poetry. The Oct. 1775 number includes a brief biographical note on Geo. Washington. Includes a series of numbered essays: "The Listner [sic]".
Reproduction of original from Bodleian Library (Oxford).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, P2812.
- Special Numbering:
- Issues lack numeration; chronological designation only.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Complexity Note:
- Collects monthly issues of this periodical.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- NCBEL, II:1305
View MARC record | catkey: 6150145