[The Complete magazine of knowledge and pleasure [electronic resource] : containing the greatest variety of original pieces, ... embellished with a great variety of prints and maps.].
- Uniform Title:
- Complete magazine of knowledge and pleasure (London, England : Monthly)
- Additional Titles:
- Complete magazine
- [London [England] : publish'd monthly according to Act of Parliament, by J. Payne, at the Feathers in Pater-noster row, ]
- Physical Description:
- 7 volumes, plates (some folded) : illustrations, maps ; 21 cm (8⁰)
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- [Volume I. for 1764.] April 1764-
Ceased in Oct. 1764.
- Social policy—England—Public opinion—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Theater—England—History—18th century—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Travel writing—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- English literature—18th century—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Great Britain—Politics and government—1760-1789—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Great Britain—History—George III, 1760-1820—Periodicals—Early works to 1800
- Related Titles:
- Publication Frequency:
- Title from engraved general title page; monthly issue lacks individual t.p. or wrapper.
Short title given as caption on first page of text.
Imprint from collected issue title page.
Imprint lacks date; year of publication from designation of issue.
With printer's ornament on title page.
Prefatory note to the reader follows title page in copy cataloged.
Direction line of first p. of text reads: Comp. Mag. April 1764.
Includes history, current events, politics, essays on social questions, military and civil preferments, theatrical criticism and a list of current performances, poetry, occasional music, current events for each month including marriages, deaths and stock prices; also includes numbered esssays: The Traveller.
Reproduction of original from Bodleian Library (Oxford).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, P3014.
- Special Numbering:
- With chronological designation only.
Collected issue title page numbered, but intended no. of issues for each volume not given.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Complexity Note:
- Monthly issues collected as: The Complete museum of knowledge and pleasure.
Merged with: The Universal museum: or gentleman's and lady's polite magazine of history, politics and literature in Nov. 1764, to form: The Universal museum and complete magazine of knowledge and pleasure.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- NCBEL, II:1304
Crane & Kaye, 1135
View MARC record | catkey: 6150187