The novelist's magazine; or, Gentleman and lady's entertaining miscellany [electronic resource].
- Uniform Title:
- Novelist's magazine; or, Gentleman and lady's entertaining miscellany (London, England : Weekly)
- Additional Titles:
- Novelist's magazine, Gentleman and lady's entertaining miscellany, and Volume title page, bound within some weekly issues: Novelist's magazine
- London [England] : printed for Harrison and Co. No. 18, Paternoster- Row, and sold by all other booksellers, stationers and newscarriers, in town and country, <1780-1788>
- Physical Description:
- volumes, plates ; 23 cm (8⁰)
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Began with no. 1 in 1780; ceased in 1788.
- Publication Frequency:
- Volume title page, for issues to be bound together when a volume of serialized fiction is completed, follows the wrapper title in the last weekly issue of the novels for that volume.
Volume title pages are engraved, with volume numbers, a list of works included in that volume, with a vignette above the imprint.
An internal title page for the individual work is bound in the first weekly issue of the novel being serialized, and title page imprint includes year of publication for that novel.
Imprints lack date; years of publication from reference sources.
Imprints vary slightly.
Weekly issue price: six-pence.
At head of wrapper title: To be continued weekly.
With frontis. plates in each issue for that novel.
Some wrappers carry instructions to the binder for placement of plates.
Includes serialized novels, histories, romances, or memoirs, including translations of foreign publications. Works are normally completed in three or four issues; volumes apparently appear three or four times a year.
Description based on: [Vol. XII.] Number CLXXXIV. ; title from wrapper.
Reproduction of original from Bodleian Library (Oxford).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, P6358.
- Special Numbering:
- Issues lack chronological designation; dated from internal title pages.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Complexity Note:
- Completed novels collected irregularly as: The Novelist's magazine.
Companion publication of shorter fiction published monthly as: The New novelist's magazine.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- NCBEL, II:1306
Crane & Kaye, 633
Times handlist, p. 45
View MARC record | catkey: 6150367