Theophilus clibber, to David Garrick, Esq [electronic resource] : With dissertations on theatrical subjects. I. Of poets and actors, their antiquity, and estimation;- particularly among the Greeks and Romans:- acting of plays encouraged by the greatest men in all ages. II. Socrates, Epaminondas, Cs̆ar, Scipio, Brutus, Ciceso, &c. promoters of dramatic compositions, encouragers of actors, &c. III. The apostles no enemies to plays: quotations form Holy Writ, and of some modern divines in their favour. History of patents and licences, from Queen Elizabeth's time to the present, chiefly granted in favour of the actors. IV. Good conduct of Patentees: pantomimes exploded;- the ill usage of authors considered. V. Some new and revived pieces reviewed. The new manner of acting pointed out. An account of drolls, farces, mock opera's, &c. Extracted from Shakespear's multilated and macerated remains, by the Little Charlatan of the present stage. VI. The rehearsal versed,- mimicry an abuse; specimens of modern genteel comedy. Ditto of modern tragedy. VII. The new manner of acting the chances, - and the morals of that play enquired into. VIII. Seneca,- callipedes, - and a reigning actor, compared. The cause of spouters, &c. Adorn'd wtih a frontpiece, and curious copper-plate
- Cibber, Theophilus, 1703-1758
- Uniform Title:
- Dissertations on theatrical subjects
- London : Printed for W. Reeves, at Shakespear-Head in Fleet-Street, and J. Phipps, at the Britannia Printing-Office, White-Friers, MDCCLIX. 
- Physical Description:
- 2 unnumbered pages, 76;4 unnumbered pages, 47, 1 unnumbered page;32, 17-112 pages, plates : portrait ; 8⁰.
- A reissue of the 1756 Griffiths edition, 'Dissertations on theatrical subjects' with the original titlepage, and leaf of 'Contents of the first dissertation' prefixed to the second dissertation.
Apparently issued without the leaf of contents to the second dissertation and without the final leaf containing a satirical advertisement and errata.
Reproduction of original from British Library.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, T99987.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
View MARC record | catkey: 6158620