A new spelling, pronouncing, and explanatory dictionary of the English language [electronic resource] : Containing, I. The words printed according to their true orthography, with the accented vowel or consonant marked in each, and the part of speech added to which each word belongs. II. The words reprinted, divided accurately as they are pronounced; and showing, in the most simple and easy manner, the proper sound of every letter, without disfiguring the words or altering their orthography. III. The various significations of each word. To which is prefixed, an introductory essay, in three parts. I. Elements of English pronunciation. 2. Elements of elocution, or the delivery of language. 3. Elements of English grammar. With an appendix, containing an account of the Heathen Gods and Goddesses, ancient heroes, &c.; a table of remarkable occurrences from the creation; and a list of celebrated writers. The whole forming an agreeable and valuable companion for the youth of both sexes, and particularly calculated for the improvement of natives and foreigners in the proper speaking and writing of the English language. By William Scott, teacher of English Reading, and Compiser of Lessons in Elocution, &c.
- Scott, William, 1750-1804
- Edinburgh : Printed for C. Elliot, Edinburgh; and G.G.J. and J. Robinson, London, M,DCC,LXXXVI. 
- Physical Description:
- 4 unnumbered pages, lx, 438, 2 unnumbered pages ; obl.12⁰.
- ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu , Full text online
- Printed in two columns.
With a final advertisement leaf.
Reproduction of original from National Library of Scotland.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, T153622.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
View MARC record | catkey: 6161418