A Second edition, (with necessary improvements, which now render the sense entirely plain) of The lawfulness, excellency and advantage of instrumental music, in the public worship of God, but chiefly of organs [electronic resource] : [Two lines of quotations].
- Philadelphia : Printed by Andrew Steuart, and sold at his printing-office, at the Bible-in-Heart in Second-Street, 1763.
- Physical Description:
- 16 pages ; 16 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Todd, John, 1719-1793, Hopkinson, Francis, 1737-1791, Hopkinson, Francis, 1737-1791, Todd, John, 1719-1793, and Steuart, Andrew, -1769
- In fact a satire upon, rather than a second edition of, James Lyon's The lawfulness, excellency, and advantage of instrumental musick in the publick worship of God urg'd and enforc'd .. Philadelphia : William Dunlap, 1763 (Evans 9424). Evans' entry for a second edition of Lyon's work (Evans 9425) may be a ghost of the present work.
Attributed to Francis Hopkinson by Bristol and Shipton & Mooney. However, O.G. Sonneck, in Francis Hopkinson .. and James Lyon, 1905, finds the evidence to be inconclusive, and suggests John Todd, A.M., as another possible author. That Andrew Steuart was printer further undermines the attribution to Hopkinson, as the two were involved in a dispute in 1763 concerning other publications. Cf. Hastings, G.E. The life and works of Francis Hopkinson, 1926.
"The title given by Evans [entry 9369] comes from Hildeburn, who was apparently following an advertisement for this piece."--Shipton & Mooney.
Reproduction of original from Library of Congress.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Citation/References Note:
- English Short Title Catalog, W4756.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Evans, C. American bibliography, 9369
Bristol, R.P. Supplement to Charles Evans' American bibliography, B2415
Shipton, C.K. National index of American imprints through 1800, 41390
Hildeburn, C.R. Pennsylvania, 1883
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present, 39342
View MARC record | catkey: 6183551