Theater geek : the real life drama of a summer at Stagedoor Manor, the famous performing arts camp / Mickey Rapkin
- Rapkin, Mickey
- New York : Free Press, 2010.
- 1st Free Press hardcover ed.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 220 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- It's showtime -- Beginners showcase -- Week one -- Jack Romano -- Week two -- Carl and Elsie -- Hell week -- Performance weekend.
- Founded in 1975, Stagedoor Manor, the premier summer theater camp for children and teenagers, continues to attract scores of young performers eager to find kindred spirits, to sing out loud, to become working actors--or maybe even stars. These kids come from varying backgrounds--the offspring of Hollywood players work alongside kids on scholarship, and the camp provides an intense, often wrenching introduction to professional theater. Journalist and theater fanatic Mickey Rapkin tracks a trio of especially talented and determined teen actors through their final session. Via original interviews with former and current campers and staff, Rapkin also recounts Stagedoor Manor's colorful, star-studded history, and explores what the proliferation of theater camps says about our celebrity-obsessed youth and our most basic but vital need to fit in.--From publisher description.
- 9781439145760, 1439145768, 9781439154397 (ebook), and 1439154392 (ebook)
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6196514