Japanese popular culture and globalization / William M. Tsutsui
- Tsutsui, William M.
- Ann Arbor, MI : Association for Asian Studies, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- ix, 85 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Forms and themes in Japanese popular culture -- Historical roots -- Postwar popular culture -- Themes in Japanese pop -- Sources of the Japanese pop imagination -- Japanese culture, Western models -- The legacies of defeat -- Change and subversion -- The global appeal of Japanese popular culture -- Quality, content, and difference -- Familiarity and the media marketplace -- The smell of pop -- American trauma, Japanese pop -- A world of fans -- Lost in translation? : adapting Japanese popular culture for global audiences -- Dubbing, editing, censoring -- Lovable kooks, enduring stereotypes -- Remade in America -- Japan as soft superpower -- The Japanese state and popular culture -- The economics of Japanese pop -- Soft power, hard realities.
- 9780924304620 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0924304626 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 6197265