Breach : poems / Nicole Cooley
- Cooley, Nicole
- Baton Rouge : Louisiana State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 77 pages ; 23 cm
- Topographies -- Breach -- Levee, from the French To Raise -- Evacuation -- Four Studies of the Afterlife -- You, Author of Weather -- Piecework Quilt, Lower Ninth Ward -- Vernacular -- The Superdome: A Suite -- Tear Outs -- New Orleans Triptych -- Burning/Missing/Flooded/Gone -- Dear City -- Arabi -- New Orleans East, A Cappella -- Death of an American City, 2005 -- September Notebook -- Debris -- Day of Commemoration -- Write a Love Note to Camellia Grill -- At the Louisiana Children's Museum -- I Spy a Hole, a Crack, a Leak -- Bayou La Batre, Alabama -- Old Gulf Coast Postcards -- Fieldwork -- Biloxi Bay Bridge Still Out -- Save Beach Elementary -- Dauphin Island Field Notes -- I'm Starting to Speak the Language -- The House on Galvez Street -- Disasterville -- Monkey Hill -- Storyland -- Divert the River -- Self-Portrait: Concrete, Chalk, Floodwater -- Disaster, A Poetics -- Compendium of Lost Objects.
- "In Breach, New Orleans native Nicole Cooley recalls Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath in gritty, poignant detail, bearing witness to the destruction of a region and to its recovery. Ranging from the urgent to the reflective, these poems speak not only to the horrors of the immediate disaster, but also to family dynamics in a time of crisis and to the social, political, and cultural realities that contextualized the storm and its wake." "In the title poem, Cooley invokes the multiple meanings of the word "breach" - breach of the levees, breach of trust - which resonate with survivors in the Crescent City, and in "Evacuation," she recounts her efforts to encourage her parents to leave the city and her harrowing three-day wait to hear from them after they refused. A number of poems, including "Write a Love Letter to Camellia Grill," "The Superdome: A Suite," and "Biloxi Bay Bridge Still Out," offer a broad range of voices and experiences to expand the perspective beyond Cooley's own family."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780807135846 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0807135844 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 6269551