Guercino's paintings and his patrons' politics in early modern Italy / Daniel M. Unger
- Unger, Daniel M.
- Additional Titles:
- Politics in early modern Italy
- Farnham, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 183 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Guercino, 1591-1666
- Visual culture in early modernity
- 1. A Biographical Sketch -- Pt. 1. Faith and Hope at the Dawn of the War -- 2. In Defense of the Papacy: St Jerome Sealing a Letter -- 3. In Praise of Religious Fervor: Return of the Prodigal Son -- 4. A Call for a Crusade: St William of Aquitaine and Pope Gregory VII -- 5. A Message to the King of France: Burial and Reception into Heaven of St Petronilla -- Pt. 2. Disillusionment -- 6. A Memorial: St Gregory the Great with Sts Ignatius of Loyola and Francis Xavier -- 7. A Warning for the Queen of France: Death of Dido -- 8. Cardinal Magalotti's Revenge: Esther before Ahasuerus -- 9. Commemorating Peace after the War of Castro: Peace between the Romans and the Sabines.
- 9780754669098 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0754669092 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6269559