The mind of empire : China's history and modern foreign relations / Christopher A. Ford
- Ford, Christopher A., 1967-
- Lexington, Ky : University Press of Kentucky, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 380 pages ; 24 cm.
- An emergent China and the weight of history -- History lessons -- Confucian conceptions of order -- Power and order in other Chinese traditions -- Western assumptions about international order -- Sinic universalism in theory and practice -- The prehistory of foreign engagement -- Engagement and status conflict -- Through formal equality to inferiority -- China's loss of its dependencies -- Imperial denouement -- Intellectual ferment in the Nationalist era -- Mao and the Middle Kingdom -- China and the foreign other -- Conceptual currents -- China imagines its world-- and its future.
- 9780813192635 (acid-free paper)
0813192633 (acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6270598