Career development in recreation, parks, and tourism : a positioning approach / Robert B. Kauffman
- Kauffman, Robert B.
- Champaign, IL : Human Kinetics, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 233 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Ch. 1. The New Paradigm -- Ch. 2. Proximity Is Everything ... Well, Almost Everything: Where do I want to work? -- Ch. 3. Being Proactive, not Reactive: Do I actively seek the job I want, or do I wait for it to come to me? -- Ch. 4. Think Evaluation: Why should they hire me? -- Ch. 5. Bridging: Am I prepared for the job I seek? -- Ch. 6. Professional Networking: How do I meet the person who will hire me? -- Ch. 7. Casing the Joint: Do I know everything about the organization and the job I seek? -- Ch. 8. The One-on-One Interview: Who within the organization can hire me? -- Ch. 9. The Formal Interview: How should I prepare for a traditional interview? -- Ch. 10. You and Your Resume: Does my resume reflect who I am? -- Ch. 11. Portfolios and Business Cards: Do I have the communication tools I need to obtain my job? -- Ch. 12. Cover Letters and E-Mails: Do I communicate effectively and professionally? -- Ch. 13. Putting It All Together.
- "Based on contemporary research and literature, Career Development in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism: A Positioning Approach offers a step-by-step plan to prepare students for the next step in their preprofessional and professional careers." "The book includes individual and group exercises to help students better understand each step in the positioning approach, as well as sample resumes, letters, and e-mails. It also features stories from students and professionals who describe how they used the positioning approach to reach their career goals. Throughout the text, the author provides examples, tools, and tips from his years of experience helping students use the positioning strategy. He also offers techniques for succeeding in more traditional job searches, including preparing for the formal job interview."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780736076333 (pbk.)
9780736087476 (Adobe PDF)
0736087478 (Adobe PDF)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Louis and Virginia Benzak Business Librarian; 2010.
View MARC record | catkey: 6273768