Freedwomen and the Freedmen's Bureau : race, gender, and public policy in the age of emancipation / Mary Farmer-Kaiser
- Farmer-Kaiser, Mary
- New York : Fordham University Press, 2010.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 275 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Introduction: "a long time in want of a bureau" -- That the freed-women ... may rise to the dignity and glory of true womanhood : the men, purpose, and gendered freedom of the Freedmen's Bureau -- A weight of circumstances like millstones about their necks to drag and keep them down : freedwomen, federal relief, and the Freedmen's Bureau -- The women are the controlling spirits : freedwomen, free labor, and the Freedmen's Bureau -- To put forth almost superhuman efforts to regain their children : freedwomen, parental rights, and the Freedmen's Bureau -- Strict justice for every man, woman, and child : gender, justice, and the Freedman's Bureau.
- 9780823232116 (cloth : alk. paper)
0823232115 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780823232123 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0823232123 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9780823232130 (ebook : alk. paper)
0823232131 (ebook : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6274234