Water and life : the unique properties of H2O / edited by Ruth M. Lynden-Bell [and others].
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 370 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Lynden-Bell, Ruth Marion
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I This Strange Substance Called "Water" -- ch. 1 Is Water an Amniotic Eden or a Corrosive Hell? Emerging Perspectives on the Strangest Fluid in the Universe / Ard A. Louis -- ch. 2 Water and Life: Friend or Foe? / Felix Franks -- ch. 3 An Introduction to the Properties of Water: Which Might Be Critical to Biological Processes? / John L. Finney -- ch. 4 Water as a Biomolecule / Philip Ball -- ch. 5 Water's Hydrogen Bond Strength / Martin F. Chaplin -- pt. II The Specific Properties of Water---How and Why Water Is Eccentric -- ch. 6 Properties of Liquids Made from Modified Water Models / Pablo G. Debenedetti -- ch. 7 Understanding the Unusual Properties of Water / H. Eugene Stanley -- ch. 8 Counterfactual Quantum Chemistry of Water / Henry F. Schaefer, III -- ch. 9 Properties of Nanoconfined Water / Branka M. Ladanyi -- pt. III Water in Biochemistry -- ch. 10 Water: Constraining Biological Chemistry and the Origin of Life / Steven A. Benner -- ch. 11 Fine-Tuning and Small Differences between Large Numbers / John L. Finney -- ch. 12 Fine-Tuning Protein Stability / J. Martin Scholtz -- ch. 13 Water and Information / Thomas C. B. McLeish -- ch. 14 Counterfactual Biomolecular Physics: Protein Folding and Molecular Recognition in Water and Other Fluid Environments / Peter G. Wolynes -- pt. IV Water, the Solar System, and the Origin of Life -- ch. 15 Sources of Terrestrial and Martian Water / Michael J. Drake -- ch. 16 Water: The Tough-Love Parent of Life / Adrian F. Tuck -- ch. 17 What Is the Diversity of Life in the Cosmos? / Peter D. Ward -- ch. 18 The Primordial Bubble: Water, Symmetry-Breaking, and the Origin of Life / Louis Lerman -- ch. 19 Liquids, Biopolymers, and Evolvability: Case Studies in Counterfactual Water-Life / Wilson C. K. Poon -- pt. V Water---The Human Dimension -- ch. 20 Some Early Responses to the Special Properties of Water / Colin A. Russell -- ch. 21 Lawrence Henderson's Natural Teleology / Bruce H. Weber -- ch. 22 Water: A Navigable Channel from Science to God? / Alister E. McGrath.
- Taking nothing for granted, this volume brings together great thinkers from across disciplines who discuss whether or not the physiochemical properties of water are biocentrically 'fine-tuned' for the existence and evolution of life.
- 9781439803561 (hbk. : alk. paper)
1439803560 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- On t.p. "2" is subscript.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Physical & Mathematical Sciences copy: Purchased with funds from the Dorothy L. Lesh Libraries Endowment; 2010.
New Kensington copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2010.
- Endowment Note:
- Dorothy L. Lesh Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 6348386