- 1. Leading with Integrity -- Understand the Importance of Integrity -- Expect Position Accountability -- Work to Establish Trust -- Share Beliefs and Values -- Recognize Tests of Leadership -- Value Relationships -- Model Integrity -- Essence of Integrity -- Tips and Advice -- 2. Keeping the Focus -- Know the Mission -- Assess District Strengths and Needs -- Use the Administrative Team -- Develop a Communication Network -- Plan Strategically to Meet Priorities -- Focus on the Plan -- Essence of Keeping the Focus -- Tips and Advice -- 3. Developing an Effective School Board -- Start Early -- Be Proactive -- Communicate Well and with Purpose -- Keep the Focus -- Use Common Sense -- Essence of Developing an Effective School Board -- Tips and Advice -- 4. Building an Administrative Team -- Select the Administrative Team Members -- Understand the Purpose of Administrative Team Meetings -- Plan for Frequent Meetings -- Prepare Formal Agendas -- Encourage the Team Model -- Develop the Team Members -- Essence of Building an Administrative Team -- Tips and Advice -- 5. Enhancing School-Community Relations -- Embrace Communication Responsibilities -- Apply Communication Rules -- Communicate with a Variety of Audiences -- Essence of Enhancing School-Community Relations -- Tips and Advice -- 6. Monitoring Efficient Operations -- Review and Assess Operational Functions -- Assure Regulatory and Legal Compliance -- Communicate with the Business Office -- Consider Partnerships -- Value All Employees -- Be a Leader and a Manager -- Manage District Finances -- Essence of Monitoring Efficient Operations -- Tips and Advice -- 7. Thinking Strategically -- Rely on the Administrative Team -- Develop "What If" Scenarios -- Keep the School Board Informed -- Have Courage -- Think about Impact of Decisions -- Essence of Thinking Strategically -- Tips and Advice -- 8. Facilitating Meaningful Change -- Prepare for Resistance -- View Change as a Planning Process -- Study Expert Advice -- Recognize the Purpose of Change -- Avoid "One Size Fits All" Reforms -- Prepare Staff -- Evaluate Results -- Keep the Focus -- Essence of Facilitating Meaningful Change -- Tips and Advice -- 9. Advocating for Students -- Review the District Plan -- Gather, Analyze, and Use Meaningful Data -- Make the Best Hiring Decisions -- Assure That Professional Development Is a Priority -- Speak Up in the Political Arena -- Essence of Advocating for Students -- Tips and Advice -- 10. Seeking, Retaining, and Transitioning Positions -- Understand the Role and Expectations -- Assess the Fit -- Adjust to a New Role -- Develop Trust -- Read the Signs -- Essence of Seeking, Retaining, and Transitioning Positions -- Tips and Advice.
- ""As executive director of the Minnesota Association of School Administrators, I look for resources that will help aspiring or new superintendents be as successful as possible in their first superintendent positions. Kay T. Worner's book, Success in the Superintendency, is exactly the resource all executive directors should recommend. It is practical, timely, and full of great ideas for administrators."---Charles Kyte, executive director of the Minnesota Association of School Administrators" ""Without doubt, Success in the Superintendency is a book that superintendent licensing programs need to have for their students. It is a quick read, providing information and advice on topics important to administrators looking for their first superintendencies."---Kenneth Underwood, retired professor in the Educational Administration Department at Virginia Tech; Horace Mann's Educator of the Year (2009)" ""As a first-year superintendent, I can't say enough about the quality and immediate applicability of the advice this book provided. When experienced, award-winning superintendents from all over the country share their words of wisdom, I listen!"---Rick Lahn, first-year superintendent in Princeton, Minnesota" ""This book is unique because it highlights the advice and experiences of dozens of successful superintendents. A must-read for all new and aspiring school leaders."---Kenneth Dragseth, National Superintendent of the Year for 2003; retired superintendent of Edina, Minnesota, School District" "Success in the Superintendency will help new and aspiring superintendents gain meaningful, practical information from award-winning, experienced superintendents. The book's ten chapters cover topics identifiable to every superintendent---no matter how many years of experience he or she has on the job. Kay T. Worner weaves information, advice, and research into each chapter, making the book a valuable tool for all administrators. The tips and scenarios are inspired by thirty-three Superintendents of the Year, representing various states and over twenty years of awards. Because of the wealth of information and advice, this book is ideal for graduate school students, beginning superintendents, and superintendents who seek some advice from those who are recognized by their peers as excellent leaders. Success in the Superintendency is a must-have for evey superintendent's professional library."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781607090311 (cloth : alk. paper)
1607090317 (cloth : alk. paper)
9781607090328 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1607090325 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- "Published in partnership with the American Association of School Administrators."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 6349026