Contending with globalization in world Englishes / edited by Mukul Saxena and Tope Omoniyi
- Critical language and literacy studies
- Introduction / Tope Omoniyi and Mukul Saxena -- Globalization and International Intelligibility / Paroo Nihalani -- From Chaos to Order: Language Change, Lingua Francas and World Englishes / Phyllis Ghim-Lian Chew -- English as a Lingua Franca in the Global Context: Interconnectedness, Variation and Change / Martin Dewey and Jennifer Jenkins -- World Englishes, Globalization and the Politics of Conformity / Rakesh M. Bhatt -- EFL: From You Sound Like Dickens to International English / Maria Georgieva -- Glocalization of English in World Englishes: An Emerging Variety among Persian Speakers of English / Farzad Sharifian -- Local Networks in the Formation and Development of West African English / Augustin Simo Bobda -- The English Language, Globalization and Latin America: Possible Lessons from the 'Outer Circle' / Kanavillil Rajagopalan -- Rethinking Origins and Localization in Global Englishes / Alastair Pennycook -- Final Reflections: Globalization and World Englishes / Mukul Saxena and Tope Omoniyi.
- "This book engages with English in globalization, re-examining and re-interpreting the contemporary contexts of its acquisition and use. The chapters contained in this book weave together four inter-related themes that define the role of English in the global context: the c̀entrality of structure', r̀elationships of interdependence', s̀ocial constructions of difference' and r̀eproduction of inequality'. These themes enable the authors to draw attention to the dynamics of the contemporary realities of the Ènglish-speaking' and Ènglish-using' nations, especially as they compete for cultural, social, economic and symbolic capital in global networks. In engaging World Englishes with the sociolinguistics of globalization, the authors raise some fundamental questions about the status, structure, and functions of World Englishes." ""What roles are English and World Englishes playing in globalization? What effect is globalization having on English and World Englishes? What effect is globalization having on other languages? Anyone interested in exploring these crucial questions will find this book a most helpful and stimulating companion. The editors have assembled an appropriately diverse all-star cost of contributors, each of whom approaches the topic from a refreshingly innovative standpoint. To paraphrase Omoniyi's poem which opens the book, readers will learn to ẁaltz, salsa and lion-dance' (and hip-hop) their way through the complex cultural and linguistic steps of globalization."-Andy Kirkpatrick, Hong Kong Institute of Education"--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781847692757 (alk. paper), 1847692753 (alk. paper), 9781847692740 (pbk : alk. paper), 1847692745 (pbk : alk. paper), 9781847692764 (ebook), and 1847692761 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6351331