Biological clock in fish / editors, Ewa Kulczykowska, W±odzimierz Popek, B.G. Kapoor
- 1. Introduction to Circadian Rhythms / Bronistaw Cymborowski -- 2. The Pineal Organ of Fish / Gilles Boeuf -- 3. Pineal Photoreception and Temporal Physiology in Fish / Hilmar Meissl -- 4. Melatonin in Fish: Circadian Rhythm and Functions / Lucien C. Manchester -- 5. Fishing for Links between the Circadian Clck and Cell Cycle / Nicholas S. Foulkes -- 6. The Pineal Gland as a Source of Melatonin in Fish, and Influence of Light and Temperature on Melatonin Secretion / Elzbieta Cwioro -- 7. Cellular Clocks and the Importance of Light in Zebrafish / David Whitmore -- 8. Feeding Rhythms in Fish: From Behavioral to Molecular Approach / Francisco Javier Sanchez-Vazquez -- 9. Reproduction Rhythms in Fish / Francisco Javier Sanchez-Vazquez -- 10. Influence of Melatonin on Hypothalamo-Pituitary-Ovarian Axis in Carp: Mechanism and Action / Ewa Luszczek-Trojnar -- 11. Circadian and Seasonal Rhythm in Secretion of Melatonin, Dopamine and LH in Carp / Ewa Luszczek-Trojnar -- 12. Circadian Clocks in Retina of Goldfish / R. Haque.
- "Each organism has its own internal biological clock, which is reset by environmental cues (Zeitgebers), thus keeping it synchronized with the external environment. It is a chemically based oscillating system within cells, relying on molecular feedback loops. Circadian biological clocks exist in most organisms. What is so special about the clock in fish? Where is it located in the retina? inside the brain? in the pineal? What is the molecular basis of its function? How is the clock able to keep time in the absence of environmental cues? Although biological clocks have been intensively studied over the past four decades, only recently have the tools needed to examine the molecular basis of circadian rhythms become available. The authors review the state of knowledge in sufficient detail and present their latest contribution to the field. There is no doubt that fish provide a unique model of the circadian biological clock"--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781578086757 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Gift in honor of Sue and Joe Paterno by Richard and Donna Schutz; 2012.
View MARC record | catkey: 6351556