Train your dog like a pro / Jean Donaldson
- Donaldson, Jean, 1962-
- Hoboken, N.J. : Howell Book House/Wiley Pub., 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xi, 212 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm + 1 videodisc (150 min. ; 4 3/4 in.)
- What Makes a Trainer? -- My Agenda -- My Perseverance Sell-Job -- The Not-So Awful Truth about Motivation -- Basic Rewards for Installation -- Upping the Degree of Difficulty Systematically -- Outline of the Program -- Chapter 1. Sit and Watch -- Sit -- Watch -- Chapter 2. Down -- Down -- Down from a Stand -- Sit from a Down -- Chapter 3. Come -- Chapter 4. Some Help if You're Struggling -- First Aid -- Naughtiness (On Your Part) -- Getting a Pro on Board -- Chapter 5. Sit-Stay and Down-Stay -- Sit-Stay -- Down-Stay -- Chapter 6. Wait and Leave It -- Wait -- Leave It -- Chapter 7. Walking on Leash -- Walking on Leash Exercises -- Walking on Leash Outdoors -- Chapter 8. Mixing It Up -- Position Discrimination -- Fun Discrimination Exercises -- Chapter 9. Taking It on the Road -- Transfer Training Responsibilities -- Change Training Locations -- Chapter 10. Social Applications -- Sit to Greet -- Food and Items on Tables -- What's a Toy and What's Off Limits -- Management During Training -- Begging and Attention Seeking -- Chapter 11. Consolidation and Maintenance -- Everyday Opportunities fir Behavior Maintenance -- Chapter 12. Heeling -- Training Heeling -- Chapter 13. Mat Training -- Down on Mat -- Mat Training with the Clicker -- Mat Targeting -- Chapter 14. Retrieve -- Shaping the Dead Retrieve -- Dead Retrieve with Position Feeding -- Presentation into Your Hand -- Chapter 15. Sit Pretty and Roll Over -- Sit Pretty -- Roll Over -- Get the Behavior' -- Fade Your Prompts -- Take It on the Road ("Generalization") and Name It -- Consolidate, Maintain, and Protect.
- "The tools you need to think and train like a pro!" "If you're like most dog parents, you treat your fur baby as a valued member of the family who enjoys the full run of the house which is why good behavior is so important. Train Your Dog Like a Pro offers a trustworthy, systematic approach to positive dog training that anyone can follow. You'll get clear, detailed instructions for teaching essential commands and behaviors, more advanced training skills, and even some fun tricks. Plus, a bonus DVD shows you exactly how to accomplish each technique." "Whether you're the proud parent of a puppy, an adolescent, or an adult dog, this book and DVD truly give you everything you need to train your dog as effectively as a professional trainer would."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780470616161 and 0470616164
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6352086