Starting from Quirpini : the travels and places of a Bolivian people / Stuart Alexander Rockefeller
- Rockefeller, Stuart Alexander, 1960-
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xi, 306 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Introduction: disorientations -- Places and history in and about Quirpini -- Bicycles and houses -- The geography of planting corn -- Carnival and the spatial practice of community -- Ethnic politics and the control of movement -- Placing Bolivia in Quirpini: civic ritual and the power of context -- Where do you go when you go to Buenos Aires? -- Conclusion: coming back to Quirpin.
- ""A groundbreaking book [that] re-envisions place as formed by individual movements, trips, and digressions as well as a situational context for action."-Setha M. Low, The Graduate Center, City University of New York" ""A beautifully written ethnography [and] an example of careful and evocative writing about what people do. It is a pleasure to read and a model of good writing as well as good anthropology."-Laurie Kain Hart, Haverford College" "The people of Quirpini, a rural community in the Bolivian Andes, are in constant motion. They visit each other's houses, work in their fields, go to nearby towns for church, market, or official matters, and travel to cities as distant as Buenos Aires, Argentina, for wage labor. In this rich ethnography, Stuart Alexander Rockefeller shows how these places are intertwined via circuits constituted by the travels of Quirpinis, and proposes an anthropological approach to grasping the reality of people who move at such varied scales. Drawing on the work at such varied scales. Drawing on the work of Henri LeFebvre, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Nancy Munn, and Judith Butler, Rockefeller argues that Quirpinis play a creative role in shaping the places they move through, and shows how the Bolivian state and regional non-indigenous elite subert and appropriate their creative power. This compelling study makes important contributions to contemporary debates about space and place, transnationalism, power, and culture."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780253354976 (cloth : alk. paper)
0253354978 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780253222107 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0253222109 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6426937