Intelligent freeway transportation systems : functional design / Robert Gordon
- Gordon, Robert L.
- Dordrecht ; New York : Springer, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 217 pages : illustrations, charts ; 24 cm + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.).
- 1. Introduction -- 2. Cost effective design process -- 3. Functional ITS design issues -- 4. Non-recurrent congestion: improvement of time to clear accidents -- 5. Nonrecurrent congestion: incident information to motorists -- 6. Recurrent congestion: information to motorists -- 7. Ramp metering -- 8. Communications for ITS -- 9. Transportation management centers -- 10. Evaluation of system design and operation -- 11. Compact disk -- List of symbols, abbreviations and acronyms -- Appendix A. Sources of additional information on evaluation models -- Appendix B. Relative effectiveness of CCTV coverage -- Appendix C. Examples of benefits for incident management -- Appendix D. Message display software for Southern State Parkway -- Appendix E. Washington State fuzzy logic ramp metering algorithm -- Appendix F. Benefits model for motorist assistance patrols -- Index.
- "Intelligent Freeway Transportation Systems: Functional Design focuses on the efficient use of resources in the design of ITS. The author discusses the principles of top down design starting with objectives and requirements, and provides guidance for the development and evaluation of functional design alternatives according to cost effectiveness principles. This book describes how transportation planning principles and traffic diversion principles relate to functional ITS device selections and equipment locations. Methodologies for translating objectives to functional device types are provided. Application factors to identify device deployment densities (e.g. number of detectors per mile) as a function of traffic conditions are provided, as are models for evaluating the benefits of design alternatives based on traffic conditions. Methodologies for the best placement of CCTV cameras and changeable message signs are discussed." "Methodologies for the evaluation of ITS benefits to compare alternative designs and assist in the selection of the best alternative are also provided." "Intelligent Freeway Transportation Systems: Functional Design is appropriate for engineers and decision makers engaged in the scoping and preliminary design of ITS as well as for university courses on this subject. The book provides a number of Excel worksheets on the accompanying CD, to assist in the location of ITS devices and in computing the benefits of system design." --Book Jacket.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Available online to subscribers.
CD-ROM contains supplementary material to chapters 4 and 5.
View MARC record | catkey: 6428393