The welfare of laboratory animals [electronic resource] / edited by Eila Kaliste
- Dordrecht ; Boston : Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiii, 345 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Kaliste, Eila
- Preliminaries; Contents; Series Preface; Preface; Contributing authors; Animal welfare -- an introduction; Research, animals and welfare. Regulations, alternatives and guidelines; Infections in laboratory animals: Importance and control; Housing, care and environmental factors; Nutrition and animal welfare; Experimental procedures: General principles and recommendations; The welfare of laboratory mice; The welfare of laboratory rats; The welfare of laboratory guinea pigs; The welfare of laboratory rabbits; The welfare of laboratory dogs; The welfare of pigs and minipigs.
- Where there are no alternatives to the use of experimental animals in biomedical research, their welfare has to be ensured as far as possible. The aim of this book is to describe the current knowledge about the welfare of laboratory animals. There is previous literature dealing with the welfare of animals in general, as well as literature dealing with the maintenance and use of laboratory animals. This book brings together these two topics, focusing to the general and species-specific needs of laboratory animals in the light of their welfare. The book will provide material for researchers, lec.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6430808