The life and music of Kenny Davern : just four bars / Edward N. Meyer
- Meyer, Edward N.
- Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 441 pages, 20 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Studies in jazz ; no. 63
- Chapter 1. Difficult Beginnings -- Chapter 2. Apprenticeship -- Chapter 3. The Band at Nick's -- Chapter 4. Elsa, Dick, and a Musical Voice -- Chapter 5. Reversal of Fortune -- Chapter 6. In the Big Leagues -- Chapter 7. Soprano Summit -- Chapter 8. Changes -- Chapter 9. Out Front -- Chapter 10. Public Person, Private Man -- Chapter 11. Too Good to Last -- Chapter 12. Rebuilding -- Chapter 13. Summit Reunion -- Chapter 14. The Arbors Years -- Chapter 15. Recognition -- Chapter 16. Change of Place, Change of Pace -- Chapter 17. Journey's End.
- "Clarinetist Kenny Davern ranked among the best jazz musicians for more than fifty years. The unique and instantly recognizable sound of his clarinet, coupled with his wide-ranging intellect and quick sense of humor, drew praise and applause, endearing him to fans and friends. The Life and Music of Kenny Davern tells the story of this fascinating musician who persisted in the face of adversity until he achieved his vision of how he wanted his music to sound." "Edward N. Meyer conducted interviews with friends, family, colleagues, and critics of Kenny Davern, as well as the artist himself, to compile a comprehensive and personal narrative. Beginning with the tragic events that shaped Davern's early life, Meyer traces his growth from a young boy raised in an atmosphere of conflict into an acclaimed, self-assured musician and loving husband and father. Meyer describes the state of the jazz music business in the last half of the twentieth century and fully establishes Davern's status within that scene. Meyer also explores a side of Davern that the public never saw: his hunger for reading made him knowledgeable and well-respected in numerous spheres. With more than thirty photos, a comprehensive discography, bibliography, and index, this volume will fascinate jazz students, fans, and scholars."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780810876927 (cloth : alk. paper)
0810876922 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- "The issued recordings of Kenny Davern": pages 343-420.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6437654