Five miles away, a world apart : one city, two schools, and the story of educational opportunity in modern America / James E. Ryan
- Ryan, James E. (James Edward)
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 384 pages ; 25 cm
- Introduction: Freeman and Tee-Jay -- Past: School desegregation and middle America. Buying time ; Don't cross that line -- Present: Save the cities, spare the suburbs. Desegregating dollars ; Like a Russian novel: school finance litigation in state courts ; Limited choices ; The impact of choice and the role of courts ; Lowering the bar: the standards and testing movement -- Future: Democracy is opportunity. In search of ties that bind ; Freeman and Tee-Jay revisited.
- How is it that, half a century after Brown v. Board of Education, educational opportunities remain so unequal for black and white students, not to mention poor and wealthy ones?
- 9780195327380 (hardback : alk. paper) and 0195327381 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6438344