The kingdomes vveekly intelligencer [electronic resource] : sent abroad to prevent mis-information
- Additional Titles:
- Kingdom's weekly intelligencer, Fine design discovered, and Counterfeit issue title: Fine designe discovered. And Irish rebels landed [No. 23] (13 June, 1643)
- [London] : [publisher not identified], [1643-1646]
- Physical Description:
- volumes ; 4¿́°.
- Additional Creators:
- Collings, Richard
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- [Numb. 1.] (From Tuesday the 27. of December , to Tuesday the 3. of January. )-Numb. 332. (From Tuesday, October 2 to Tuesday, October the 9. 1649.).
- Publication Frequency:
- Editor: Richard Collings; some issues have "Collected by R.C." on the title page.
Title from caption.
Title varies slightly; the edition of [no. 23] may be a piracy, bearing the title: A fine designe discovered. And Irish rebels landed', with the imprint: London : printed for Peter Cole, at the Glove in Cornehill, neer the Royall Exchange, 1643. Cf. Nelson & Seccombe 214.023B.
With continuous pagination and register.
Most issues from no. 24 have colophons, which subsequently vary.One issue in June 1643 was printed for Peter Cole; from July 1643 to the end of Feb. 1644, issues were printed by George Bishop and Robert White; from then until mid-June 1646 the printer was Robert White alone; other names that appear in imprints include: Robert Austin, Andrew Coe, G. L., and Humphrey Blunden, whose initials appear on colophons from mid-1646 to mid-1648. Cf. Nelson and Seccombe.
Some issues dated according to Lady Day dating.
Some issues with repeated numbering and dating may be counterfeits of this newsbook as the texts differ.
Publication ceased with Numb. 332 as a result of the Licensing Act of 1649, which suppressed the entire licensed press from 12 Oct. 1649 until mid-1650. Cf. Williams.
This record subsumes all editions (including counterfeits and rival editions, etc.) of individual issues of this title, as recorded by Nelson & Seccombe.
Reproduction of the originals from the Burney Collection, the British Library (London).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
This database contains images from the Charles Burney Collection purchased by the British Library in 1818. It includes periodicals and newspapers published in England, Ireland and Scotland, parliamentary papers, pamphlets and proclamations, manuscript material, and news-books. The collection also includes news media from the British colonies in the Americas and Asia. The database may include selected or scattered issues of some journals and newspapers and complete runs of other titles.
- Special Numbering:
- Numbering begins with the second issue (10 Jan., 1643).
Numbering irregular: nos. 22, 23, 24 repeated in numbering with the same dates, signatures and pagination; nos. 189-197 omitted; nos. 266, 269 repeated.
Slight irregularities in dating.
Gaps in publishing between 21 Mar.-10 Apr. 1644 and 28 Jan.-11 Mar. 1645.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Complexity Note:
- Revived in July 1650 as: The weekly intelligencer of the commonvvealth.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Nelson & Seccombe. Brit. newspapers and periodicals, 1641-1700, 214.001-332
Williams, J.B. History of English journalism, pp. 43, 122
View MARC record | catkey: 6513400