Mercurius melancholicus: or, Nevves from Westminster, and other parts [electronic resource].
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection newspapers
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- [Num. 1] ([4 Sept. 1647])-Num. 58,59, 60,61,62 (From Tuesday November 14. to Tuesday Novemb. 21 1648)
- Publication Frequency:
- Variously edited by John Hackluyt or Martin Parker; some counterfeit or competing issues have also been attributed to John Taylor. Originally published on Saturday, later on Monday, it is likely that issues appearing on other days are counterfeit. However this record includes both genuine and counterfeit issues as reference sources disagree on their authenticity. Cf. Frank; Williams.
Date of first issue from Thomason's MS. note on the title page.
Place of publication from Nelson & Seccombe.
Pagination and signatures are continuous over some issues.
One of several newsbooks with the title Mercurius melancholicus published during the Civil War and Commonwealth periods.
Reproduction of the originals from the Burney Collection, the British Library (London).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
This database contains images from the Charles Burney Collection purchased by the British Library in 1818. It includes periodicals and newspapers published in England, Ireland and Scotland, parliamentary papers, pamphlets and proclamations, manuscript material, and news-books. The collection also includes news media from the British colonies in the Americas and Asia. The database may include selected or scattered issues of some journals and newspapers and complete runs of other titles.
- Special Numbering:
- Numbering and dating begin with No.2 (Sept.4-11 1647)
Numbering and dating are irregular.
Gap in publication from 9 Oct. to 14 Nov. 1648.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Complexity Note:
- Revived in January 1649. Cf. Frank p.162
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Nelson and Seccombe, 344.01-59B
Williams, J.B. History of English journalism, p.234
Frank, J. Beginnings of the English newspaper 1620-1660
View MARC record | catkey: 6513428