The Observer [electronic resource].
- Uniform Title:
- Observer (London, England : 1791)
- Additional Titles:
- Banner title: Sunday advertiser
- London : printed and published W. Locke, No. 283, Strand, opposite Norfolk-Street, where advertisements and articles of intelligence will be received, 1791-1800.
- Physical Description:
- volumes ; 1¿́°.
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection newspapers
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- [No. 1] Sunday, December 4, 1791-
- Publication Frequency:
- Imprint from undated colophon.
On date line: Gratis.
With a cut of a rayed eye, bearing the banner "Sunday advertiser"; cut ceases to be used at some point between no. 87 and 155.
Below imprint: Orders and advertisements will also be received by Palmer, Ship-Yard, Temple-Bar; Axtell, Royal Exchange; Ridgeway, York-Street, St. James;s; Appleyard, Wimpole-Street, Cavendish Square and Mrs. Swan, Parliament Street.
World's oldest extant Sunday newspaper.
Description based on facsimile edition of: Sunday, December 4, 1791; title from caption.
Latest issue consulted: No. 470 (Sunday, December 28, 1800.).
Reproduction of the originals from the Burney Collection, the British Library (London).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
This database contains images from the Charles Burney Collection purchased by the British Library in 1818. It includes periodicals and newspapers published in England, Ireland and Scotland, parliamentary papers, pamphlets and proclamations, manuscript material, and news-books. The collection also includes news media from the British colonies in the Americas and Asia. The database may include selected or scattered issues of some journals and newspapers and complete runs of other titles.
- Special Numbering:
- First issue unnumbered, numbering instituted by no. 6.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Complexity Note:
- First no. reprinted in facsimile as a supplement to the no. printed 2 December 1906.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Ward, W. S. Index of serials, p. 119
Times handlist, p. 47
View MARC record | catkey: 6513743