The Monitor [electronic resource].
- Uniform Title:
- Monitor (London, England : 1714)
- London printed : And sold by John Morphew, near Stationer-s Hall, 1714.
- Physical Description:
- 47 volumes ; 2¿́°.
- Additional Creators:
- Defoe, Daniel, 1661?-1731
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection newspapers
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- No. 1 (Thursday, April 22, 1714)-no. 47 ([Saturday], August 7, 1714)
- Publication Frequency:
- Three times a week
- Authorship unknown; at times attributed to Daniel Defoe (cf. McLeod).
Imprint from undated colophon.
Below colophon on some issues: Price three-half-pence.
Each number consists of a single essay of opinion commenting upon press and party, pamphlets, newspapers, scribblers, and news-makers (cf. McLeod).
Description based on: No. 1 (Thursday, April 22, 1714); title from caption.
Latest issue consulted: No. 47 ([Saturday], August 7, 1714)
Reproduction of the originals from the Burney Collection, the British Library (London).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
This database contains images from the Charles Burney Collection purchased by the British Library in 1818. It includes periodicals and newspapers published in England, Ireland and Scotland, parliamentary papers, pamphlets and proclamations, manuscript material, and news-books. The collection also includes news media from the British colonies in the Americas and Asia. The database may include selected or scattered issues of some journals and newspapers and complete runs of other titles.
- Special Numbering:
- No more published.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- NCBEL, II:1275
McLeod, W. and V. Graphical directory, 1702-1714, p. 32
Stewart, P. Brit. newspapers, 162
Bodleian newspapers, p. 104
View MARC record | catkey: 6513759