The Anti-Jacobin; or, Weekly examiner [electronic resource].
- London : published by J. Wright, No. 169, opposite Old Bond-street, Piccadilly; by whom orders for the paper, and all communications of correspondents, addressed to the editor of the Anti-Jacobin; or, Weekly examiner, will be received. Sold also by all the booksellers and newsmen in town and country, 1797-1798.
- Physical Description:
- 36 volumes ; 4¿́°.
- Additional Creators:
- Gifford, William, 1756-1826
Canning, George, 1770-1827
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection newspapers
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- No. 1 (Monday, November 20, 1797)-No. 36 (Monday, July 9, 1798).
- Publication Frequency:
- Originator: George Canning; editor: William Gifford.
Below title in square brackets: To be continued every Monday during the sitting of Parliament.
Imprint from colophon.
Satirical treatment of radical Whig government; paper published in support of Pitt, the Tory ministry and the king. Fiercely conservative. As this weekly ended, it was succeeded by the monthly Anti-Jacobin review and magazine, which had a separate staff and management, but the same principles.
Description based on: No. 1 (Monday, November 20, 1797); title from caption.
Latest issue consulted: No. 36 (Monday, July 9, 1798).
Reproduction of the originals from the Burney Collection, the British Library (London).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
This database contains images from the Charles Burney Collection purchased by the British Library in 1818. It includes periodicals and newspapers published in England, Ireland and Scotland, parliamentary papers, pamphlets and proclamations, manuscript material, and news-books. The collection also includes news media from the British colonies in the Americas and Asia. The database may include selected or scattered issues of some journals and newspapers and complete runs of other titles.
- Special Numbering:
- One number was published Thursday (no. 3, 30 Nov. 1797), between two regular issues; no. 34 and 35 were both issued July 2, 1798.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- NCBEL, II:1338
Times handlist, p. 47
Stewart, P. Brit. newspapers, 5
View MARC record | catkey: 6513767