The hundred year diet : America's voracious appetite for losing weight / Susan Yager
- Yager-Berkowitz, Susan
- New York : Rodale, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 260 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- PART ONE:. THE FOUNDING FATHERS -- 1. Sex, Indigestion, and Weight Loss -- 2. America, What's your Weight? -- PART TWO:. YOU'RE PERFECT; NOW DIET! -- 3. Prohibition, Depression, and Banana Cream Pie -- 4. Death by Dinitrophenol -- 5. Weight-Loss Moratorium -- 6. Who Needs Carbs? -- PART THREE:. HOW TO START AN EPIDEMIC -- 7. A Plague is Born -- 8. "How Do I Lose Weight Fast?" -- 9. Pure, White, and Deadly -- 10. Dieting by the Book -- 11. Eat Fat, Get Thin -- 12. Don't Start the Revolution without Atkins -- 13. The Thinking Man's Diet -- 14. America, We Have a Situation -- PART FOUR:. THE DAWNING OF THE AGE OF OBESITY -- 15. How Much Should I Weigh Again? -- 16. Diets are Like Streetcars -- 17. How Much Should I Exercise Again? -- 18. Fat-Free Fat -- 19. The Pill on the Cover of Time -- 20. Any Other Options, Doctor? -- 21. Are We Just Really Hungry? -- 22. What Epidemic? -- PART FIVE:. WEIGHING IN ON THE FUTURE -- 23. The Mysterious Case of the Diet Doctor -- 24. Genetics, Chemistry, and a Plastic World -- 25. The 7 Percent Solution -- 26. The 100-Year Diet.
- ""Susan Yager has given us a delightful breeze through a century of American dietary prescriptions, from Dr. Kellogg to Michael Pollan. What to Do? We still haven't figured out how to keep our food appetites to reasonable limits."" "---Marion Nestle, professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York Universtiy and author of What to Eat" ""By dissecting the aesthetic, moral, and commercial basis of our obsessions with eating, The Hundred Year Diet illuminates the path to a healthier, and saner, food future."" "---Brian Halweil, author of Eat Here and publisher of Edible Manhattan, Edible Brooklyn, and Edible East End" ""It is difficult for many Americans to recognize simple, good food anymore---let alone appreciate it, We are confused. We flit from one loopy, illogical diet to the next. We feel guilty; we binge and purge. And we've become just about the fattest people on earth." "The purpose of this book is not to explore every weight-loss method devised in the last 100 years, which would be repetitive and probably take at least another century to compile. Instead, it will concentrate on the most influential people, products, companies, and plans that circumvented what should have been a simple and easy gift in a country where food is mercifully plentiful and varied---and has the capacity to nourish its citizens safely and well."---From The Hundred Year Diet"--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781605290119 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 223-226) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6517706