Pirates of Barbary : corsairs, conquests, and captivity in the seventeenth-century Mediterranean / Adrian Tinniswood
- Tinniswood, Adrian
- New York : Riverhead Books, 2010.
- 1st American ed.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 343 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm
- Prosperity at sea: the Mediterranean world -- Where are the days?: the making of a pirate -- Hellfire is prepared: turning Turk on the Barbary Coast -- The land hath far too little ground: Danseker the Dutchman -- Your majesty's new creature: pardons and pragmatism under James I -- Rich caskets of home-spun valour: fighting back against the pirates -- Treacherous intents: the English send a fleet against Algiers -- Fishers of men: The sack of Baltimore -- Woeful slavery: William Rainborow's 1637 expedition to Morocco -- The yoke of bondage: a slave's story -- Deliverance: the liberation of Barbary captives -- The greatest scourge to the Algerines: the occupation of Tangiers -- Breaches of faith: making peace with Barbary -- No part of England: The evacuation of Tangiers -- The king's agent: Life in late-seventeenth century Tripoli -- The last corsair: colonialism, conquest, and the end of the Barbary pirates.
- 9781594487743 and 159448774X
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -333) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6518728