Muriel's war : an American heiress in the Nazi resistance / Sheila Isenberg
- Isenberg, Sheila
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 239 pages : illustrations, map ; 25 cm
- Machine generated contents note: Table of Contents Prologue -- Chapter 1: Gus and Nels -- Chapter 2: Childhood -- Chapter 3: Adolescence -- Chapter 4: Radical -- Chapter 5: Abroad -- Chapter 6: Freud's Vienna -- Chapter 7: Muriel's Vienna, 1929 -- Chapter 8: Blood in the Streets -- Chapter 9: Love and War -- Chapter 10: All about Joe -- Chapter 11: Buildup to Catastrophe -- Chapter 12: Anschluss -- Chapter 13: The Third Woman -- Chapter 14: Paris before the War -- Chapter 15: The War Years -- Chapter 16: After the War -- Chapter 17: The Late Years -- Chapter 18: Last Days -- Photosection -- Notes -- Index.
- "An American heiress turned resistance hero, Muriel Gardiner was an electrifying woman who impressed everyone she met with her beauty, intelligence, and powerful personality. Her adventurous life led her from Chicago's high society to a Viennese medical school, from Sigmund Freud's inner circle to the Austrian underground. Over the years, she saved countless Jews and anti-fascists, providing shelter and documents ensuring their escape. This remarkable woman's life as a legend of the Austrian Resistance was captured in the movie Julia with Vanessa Redgrave and remains an inspiration to all those who believe that one individual can change the world. Gardiner's astonishing story is told here for the first time in all its variety and unanticipated twists and turns"--
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6596746