Delmarva legends & lore / David Healey
- Healey, David
- Additional Titles:
- Delmarva legends and lore
- Charleston, SC : History Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 126 pages : illustrations, map ; 22 cm
- pt. 1. Colonial Delmarva -- Augustine Herman: explorer and mapmaker -- Chestertown Tea Party -- How Whorekill and Murderkill got their names -- Lost houses of Delmarva -- William Claiborne: Chesapeake Bay's first pirate -- Baltimore versus Charlestown -- The original Sot-weed factor -- Bloody Delmarva : English, Swedes, Dutch, and Native Americans in conflict -- Debtors' prisons -- pt. 2. War of 1812 -- The town that fooled the British -- Sir Peter Parker's fateful Letter -- Kitty Knight -- The battle fought after war's end -- pt. 3. Divided Delmarva: the Civil War era -- Thomas McCreary: notorious slave catcher and kidnapper -- Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad -- Clara Gunby Huffington: spy for the Confederacy -- Lincoln's "My dear lady" -- Caveman of the Civil War -- pt. 4. Disasters, shipwrecks, and mayhem -- The great gale of 1878 and the sinking of the Express -- The rise and fall of the peach barons -- Delaware's Coin Beach -- Cannibals on Assateague -- Lightning causes airline crash -- pt. 5. Monsters and myths -- Chessie -- Oyster wars -- James Michener's Chesapeake and the house full of canned fruit -- The horses that Swam Ashore -- pt. 6. Ghosts, murders, and mysteries -- Haunted historical society -- The mysterious Cosden murders -- Andrew Jackson's duelist meets his match -- Searching for Blackbeard's treasure -- The drowned town.
- 9781596299214 and 1596299215
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 6600335