Dynasty and divinity : Ife art in ancient Nigeria / Henry John Drewal, Enid Schildkrout
- Drewal, Henry John
- Additional Titles:
- Ife art in ancient Nigeria
- New York : Museum for African Art, 
Seattle, WA : Distributed by University of Washington Press.
- Copyright Date:
- [English ed.].
- Physical Description:
- xi, 186 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), maps ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Schildkrout, Enid, Museum for African Art (New York, N.Y.), Fundación Marcelino Botín, and Nigeria. National Commission for Museums and Monuments
- Ife art in West Africa : an introduction to the exhibition / Enid Schildkrout -- The splendor of ancient Ife : art in an early West African state / Henry John Drewal.
- "Dynasty and Divinity: Ife Art in Ancient Nigeria presents a major part of the extraordinary corpus of ancient Ife art in terra-cotta, stone, and metal, mostly dating from the ninth to the fifteenth centuries. Artists at Ife, the ancient city-state of the Yoruba people of West Africa (located in present-day southwestern Nigeria), created sculpture that ranks among the most aesthetically striking and technically sophisticated in the world. Dynasty and Divinity reveals the extraordinarily creative range of Ife art through a diversity of objects that includes handsome idealized portrait heads, exquisite miniatures, expressive caricatures of old age, lively animals, and sculptures showing the impressive regalia worn by Ife's king and queens. Together, these illuminate one of the world's greatest art centers and demonstrate the skill and vision of Ife's artists, as well as the rich aesthetic language they developed in order to convey ideas about worldly and divine power."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780945802532 (pbk. : English ed.)
0945802536 (pbk. : English ed.)
9780945802549 (cloth : English ed.)
0945802544 (cloth : English ed.)
- "An exhibition co-organized by the Museum for African Art, New York, and the Fundación Marcelino Botín, Santander, Spain, in collaboration with the National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Nigeria."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 174-177).
View MARC record | catkey: 6601482