Planet ice : a climate for change / photography by James Martin ; [essays by] Yvon Chouinard [and others].
- Martin, James, 1950-
- Seattle, WA : Braided River, 2009.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 175 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), color maps ; 25 x 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Chouinard, Yvon, 1938-
- Introduction. Falling for Ice: A Photographer's Passion / James Martin -- End Moraines & Medical Moraines / Richard Alley -- Athabasca & Crowfoot Glaciers, Canadian Rockies -- Accessible Ice / James Martin -- My Life on Ice: Initiative, Boldness, and Balance / Yvon Chouinard -- Cirques, Aretes, and Horns & Crevasses / Richard Alley -- Mount Stanley, "Mountains of the Moon," Africa -- The Language of Ice -- Letters from the Sky: From Snowflakes to Ice / Gino Casassa -- Mer de Glace & Rhone Glaciers, French Alps -- How Cole is "Cold as Ice"? Richard Alley -- The Ice Birds / Kris Fulsaas -- Why Ice Matters: A Lens into Climate Change / Richard Alley -- The More It Snows, the More Ice Melts / Richard Alley -- The Ice Bear: Icon of the Arctic / Ian Stirling -- Shepard & Grinnell Glaciers, Glacier National Park, Montana -- Earth's Great Ice Sheets / James Martin -- People of the Ice: What is an Eskimo without Ice? / Nick Jans -- Ice Sheet Lakes & Ice Sheet Rivers / Richard Alley -- Forces at Work in the Warming Arctic / Nick Jans -- The Third Pole: The Himalayas' Glaciers / Broughton Coburn -- A Tale of Two Poles / James Martin -- Epilogue: The End of Ice / Gretel Ehrlich.
- "Planet Ice" documents the beauty and the power of ice and its unique role in revealing the changing condition of the planet. Pairing striking photography with essays by noted writers, this work illuminates the connection between ice and the well-being of the global community.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Earth and Mineral Sciences copy: Purchased with funds from the Class of 1962 Libraries Endowment; 2010.
- Endowment Note:
- Class of 1962 Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 6602169