Plantation, town, and county : essays on the local history of American slave society / edited by Elinor Miller and Eugene D. Genovese
- Miller, Elinor, 1944-
- Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 457 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Genovese, Eugene D., 1930-2012
Full Text available online
- Phillips, U. B. The slave labor problem in the Charleston district -- Bonner, J. C. Profile of a late antebellum community -- Hering, J. Plantation economy in Leon County, 1830-40 -- Price, J. M. Slavery in Winn Parish -- Phifer, E. W. Slavery in microcosm: Burke County, North Carolina -- Corlew, R. E. Some aspects of slavery in Dickson County -- Dorsett, L. W. Slaveholding in Jackson County, Missouri -- Wall, B. H. The founding of the Pettigrew plantations -- Savannah Unit, Georgia Writers' Project, WPA. Drakles Plantation -- Gower, H. Belle Meade: queen of Tennessee plantations -- Flanders, R. B. Two plantations and a county of antebellum Georgia -- Moffat, C. H. Charles Talt, planter, politician, and scientist of the Old South -- Swearingen, M. Thirty years of a Missippi plantation: Charles Whitmore of Montpelier -- Sitterson, J. C. The McCollams: a planter family of the Old and New South -- Curlee, A. The history of a Texas slave plantation, 1831-63 -- Coulter, E. M. Slavery and freedom in Athena, Georgia, 1800-66 -- Reinders, R. C. Slavery in New Orleans in the decade before the Civil War -- Richter, W. L. Slavery in Baton Rouge, 1820-60 -- Selp, T. L. Slaves and free Negroes in Alexandria, 1850-69 -- Hershberg, T. Free Blacks in antebellum Philadelphia -- Wood, J. H. The Negro in early Pennsylvania: the Lancaster experience, 1730-90.
- 025200390X and 0252004124 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 665896