Fires in the mirror [videorecording] : Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and other identities / American Playhouse presents a Cherie Fortis production ; KCET/Los Angeles [and others] ; conceived, written and performed by Anna Deavere Smith ; directed by George C. Wolfe ; produced by Cherie Fortis
- [United States] : Hipster Entertainment, 
Thousand Oaks, CA : Distributed by Monterey.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (87 min.) : sound, color with black and white sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Fortis, Cherie
Wolfe, George C.
Smith, Anna Deavere
Monterey Video (Firm)
Hipster Entertainment (Firm)
KCET (Television station : Los Angeles, Calif.)
- On Aug. 19, 1991, in Crown Heights (Brooklyn, N.Y.), a Hasidic man accidentally ran over a 7-year-old Black boy (Gavin Cato). Three hours later a young Jewish scholar (Yankel Rosenbaum) was murdered by Black youths. Four days of fire-bombing and riots ensued. Utilizing verbatim excerpts from interviews she conducted, Anna Deavere Smith acts out the roles of 18 people involved in the racial conflict, trying to present the differing viewpoints. Includes actual film footage of the riots and violence.
- Related Titles:
- On the road, a search for American character
American playhouse (Television program)
- Audience Notes:
- Not rated.
- This disc is a recorded DVD and may not play on all DVD players or drives.
Originally broadcast in 1993 as a segment of the public television program American playhouse.
Based on stage play Fires in the mirror / by Anna Deavere Smith.
Part of Smith's series: On the road, a search for American character.
Fires in the mirror performance followed by "A conversation with Anna Deavere Smith" (8 min.).
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Director of photography, William Dill ; film editor, Sam Pollard ; executive producer, Lindsay Law ; "Conversation" editor, Roger L. Downey ; music, Joseph Jarman, Tony Mangurian.
- Technical Details:
- DVD-R ; region 1 ; aspect ratio 4:3 full frame.
View MARC record | catkey: 6677705