All things Austen : a concise encyclopedia of Austen's world / Kirstin Olsen
- Olsen, Kirstin
- Oxford ; Westport, Conn. : Greenwood World Pub., 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 427 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- "Following in the tradition of All Things Shakespeare: A Concise Encyclopedia of Shakespeare's World (Greenwood, 2007), this similarly formatted encyclopedia takes readers from the works of Jane Austen into her world. More than 70 alphabetically arranged entries provide historical details on the form and function of everyday and obscure objects that are mentioned in Austen's novels. Illustrations accompany the lively and often humorous essays that bring these works of fiction to life." "General readers and devotees of Jane Austen will become familiar with what her characters ate, wore, and did for recreation. Well-researched information is presented about domestic items, the social scene, the workplace, the church, special events and rituals, and everyday customs that constituted life in Jane Austen's England. Readers can find citations of specific works by Austen, or they can look up terms or concepts. A bibliography arranged according to broad subjects lists major works for further reading."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781846450525 (pbk.)
- An expanded hardcover edition published in 2005 by Greenwood Press.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 399-410) and index.
- Action Note:
- committed to retain 20170930 20430101 HathiTrust https://www.hathitrust.org/shared_print_program
View MARC record | catkey: 6678854