Shock and the senseless in Dada and Fluxus / Dorothée Brill
- Brill, Dorothée
- Hanover, N.H. : Dartmouth College Press : Published by University Press of New England, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vii, 243 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Interfaces : studies in visual culture
- Introduction: shock of the senseless -- The notion of shock in early twentieth-century Europe -- Shock and urbanity: Walter Benjamin and Georg Simmel -- Shock and World War I: Walter Benjamin and Sigmund Freud -- Shock and tactility in Walter Benjamin -- Shock and the senseless in Dada -- Dada's notion of art and its sociocultural context -- Senselessness, the new, and the "shock of the unintelligible" -- The senseless in Walter Benjamin's concept of shock -- Shock and the senseless in Fluxus -- The sociocultural context of Fluxus -- From politics to a worldview: transforming the senseless -- Art as perception -- Shock and boredom: Fluxus's "senseless perception" -- Conclusion: communicating the void.
- 9781584659020 (cloth : alk. paper)
1584659025 (cloth : alk. paper)
9781584659174 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1584659173 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6679599