A small act [videorecording] / HBO Documentary Films presents ; a Harambee Media production ; in association with Considered Entertainment and Cherry Sky Films ; a film by Jennifer Arnold ; produced by Jennifer Arnold, Patti Lee, Jeffrey Soros ; written and directed by Jennifer Arnold
- Language Note:
- In English, Kikuyu and Swedish with yellow English subtitles.
- When Hilde Back sponsored a young, rural Kenyan student, she thought nothing of it. She certainly never expected to hear from him, but years later she does. Now a Harvard graduate and a Human Rights Lawyer for the United Nations, Chris Mburu decides to find the stranger that changed his life. Inspired by her generosity, he starts a scholarship program of his own and names it for his former benefactor. The top students in Mukubu primary school are in the exact same situation as Chris once was. They are bright, but can't afford to pay school fees. With the creation of Chris' fund, these students have new hope. But the program is small; how many will qualify for a scholarship? Using a strong narrative, the film interweaves seemingly separate lives into a cohesive whole. With clarity and grace, "A small act", bears witness to the ripple effect a single action can create. -- container.
- Special features: Homecoming (bonus documentary); trailer.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Music, Joel Goodman ; photography, Patti Lee ; editors, Carl Pfirman, Tyler Hubby.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Hilde Back, Chris Mburu, Patrick Kimani, Caroline Gaceri, Ruth Wairimu, Jane Wanjiru Muigai, George Kihara Thang'wa.
- Technical Details:
- DVD, region 1, NTSC ; 16x9 letterbox widescreen ; stereo.
View MARC record | catkey: 6684126