The epic film in world culture [electronic resource] / edited by Robert Burgoyne
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xii, 391 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Burgoyne, Robert, 1949-
- AFI film readers
- Spectacle. 'This is Sparta!' : the reinvention of the epic in Zach Snyder's 300 / Monica Silveira Cyrino -- 'Philip never saw Babylon': 360 degree vision and the historical epic in the digital era / Kirsten Moana Thompson -- Heroic chivalry, heroic sacrifice: 'martial arthouse' as epic cinema / Leon Hunt -- -- Bare life and sovereignty in Gladiator / Robert Burgoyne -- Center and periphery. "Rise of the rest" : globalizing epic cinema / Dina Iordanova -- Signs of the times: the semiotics of time and event in Sirk's Sign of the pagan / Bettina Bildhauer -- The fall of the Roman Empire: on space and allegory / Tom Conley -- An Italianmade spectacle film dubbed in English: cultural distinctions, national cinema and the critical reception of the postwar historical epic / Mark Jancovich -- Red cliff: the Chinese-language epic and diasporic Chinese spectators / Ruby Cheung -- Remembering the nation. Passing through nightmares: Cecil B. DeMille's The plainsman and the epic discourse in New Deal America / Philip Wagner -- Epos indigenized: the New Zealand wars film from Rudall Hayward to Vincent Ward / Bruce Babington -- The family epic. Epic melodrama, or cine-maps of the global South / Bhaskar Sarkar -- "Black blood": There will be blood / Anne Gselvik -- The body in the epic. The monstrous epic: deciphering Mel Gibson's The passion of the Christ / Alison Griffiths -- Diegetic masculinities: reading the Black body in epic cinema / Saër Maty Ba.
- 9780203927472 (electronic bk.), 0203927478 (electronic bk.), 9780415990172 (hbk : alk. paper), 0415990173 (hbk : alk. paper), 9780415990189 (pbk : alk. paper), and 0415990181 (pbk : alk. paper)
- Description based on print version record. and AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index. and "Filmography": pages -385.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide web.
View MARC record | catkey: 6684390