Woman in the wilderness : letters of Harriet Wood Wheeler, missionary wife, 1832-1892 / Nancy Bunge
- Bunge, Nancy L.
- East Lansing : Michigan State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 255 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Preparation for the journey -- The reality of mission life -- Building a home alone in the forest -- Standing with the Ojibwe against removal and smallpox -- Struggling against sickness -- Harriet's children -- Life without a mission.
- Wheeler, Harriet Wood, 1816-1894
- Wheeler, Harriet Wood, 1816-1894—Correspondence
- Wheeler, Harriet Wood, 1816-1894—Family
- Women pioneers—Wisconsin—Biography
- Missionaries' spouses—Wisconsin—Biography
- Ojibwa Indians—Missions—Wisconsin—History—19th century
- Frontier and pioneer life—Wisconsin
- Women—Education—United States—Case studies
- Wisconsin—Ethnic relations—History—19th century
- 9780870139789 (paper : alk. paper) and 0870139789 (paper : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6685415