Genital autonomy [electronic resource] : protecting personal choice / George C. Denniston, Frederick M. Hodges, Marilyn Fayre Milos, editors
- Dordrecht ; New York : Springer, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xx, 252 pages) : color illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Denniston, George C., Hodges, Frederick Mansfield, and Milos, Marilyn Fayre
- Preface; Acknowledgments; Contents; Contributors; About the Authors; 1 Three-Fourths Were AbnormalMishas Case, Sick Societies, and the Law; 2 Older Minors and Circumcision: Questioning the Limitsof Religious Actions; 3 These Goalposts Dont Move: Non-Medical Circumcision of Boys in the Tasmanian and Australian Context; 4 Mass Campaigns of Male Circumcision for HIV Control in Africa: Clinical Efficacy, Population Effectiveness, Political Issues; 5 AIDS XVII, Mexico City: Reason for Hope or Panic; 6 Circumcision Psychopathology; 7 Physical Effects of Circumcision.
- "Circumcision affects 15.3 million children and young adults annually. In terms of gender, 13.3 million boys and 2 million girls are subjected to the involuntary removal of part or all of their external sexual organs every year. The problem of female circumcision has been addressed on an international level, but male circumcision remains a controversial subject that many academics have been reluctant to examine. Circumcision is tolerated today because it has been practiced for millennia by a small but vocal minority of religious and ethnic groups, however, when the practice is examined through the lens of modern legal, ethical, and human rights advancements, no place remains in civilized society for this body-altering ritual. In Genital Autonomy : Protecting Personal Choice, international experts address various types of genital modifications, the impact of these harmful traditional practices on the child, on human rights, and on the development of the concept of bodily integrity. The papers presented in this volume address these topics from a variety of angles. They question and dissects the true motivations of the doctors, witch doctors, and "holy men" who promote and profit from circumcision."--P.  of cover.
- 9789048194469, 9048194466, 9789048194452, and 9048194458
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6762528